To provide a clinical care in order to care for patients in the operating theatre environment with the highest possible standard. To actively contribute to clinical practice and duties as required. To maximise theatre utilisation and maintain clinical standards.
- Participate fully as a team member, sharing knowledge and information and supporting colleagues to support a cohesive team and achievement of team objectives.
- Demonstrate through a holistic approach to care and day to day clinical issues, an understanding of evidence based practice.
- Provide anaesthetic assistance to the Anaesthetist before and during the time patients are undergoing surgery.
- Assist in the smooth running of the theatre list.
- Responsible for maintaining emergency equipment.
- Plan and effective use of time
- To assist in pre and post operative care of the patient following the procedures.
- To be responsible for clinical stock control and ordering.
- Liaison with outside suppliers and manufacturers..
- Cover the out of hours on call theatre team according to the on call rota.
- Follow up care and advice is provided to patients.
- Patient safety is maintained as a key priority, and in line with CQC requirements.
- A high standard of professionalism and standards is maintained at all times.
- Promote partnership with patients and promote their right to informed choice and support their ability to self care.
- Promote effective communications with members of the multi disciplinary team, using their contributions effectively in the delivery of care and the service.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of the operating theatre environment.
- Demonstrate technical skills ensuring adherence to local policies.
- Conduct clinical supervision of nurses the clinical team.
- Conduct clinical audits which will link into the clinical effectiveness and clinical governance strategy.
- Participate in the collection of audit and research data as required. Identify areas where local audit is required and conduct the audit.
- To delegate responsibilities to nursing staff and technicians.
- Ensure that nursing records are correctly maintained.
- Ensure equipment and other supplies are in stock.
- Ensure Adverse Incidents are reported and incident form completed in accordance with company policy.
- To record and investigate complaints in accordance with company policy.
- To ensure compliance with CQC standards and to ensure the clinical areas and team are meeting safety and regulatory guidelines as mandated by the clinic and other governing agencies.
- Provide managerial direction and support to junior colleagues within the team in the delivery of the service,
- Act as a clinical role model, demonstrating both a high level of expertise in the assessment, planning, delivery and evaluation of care.
- Contribute and participate in the process of setting goals and benchmarking standards of care. Develop tools to improve the quality of the service and co-ordinate clinic services across the clinic.
- Making recommendations, coordinating projects and developing practice guidelines and policies based upon robust evidence, gained from risk assessment, audit and literature review.
- Contribute to the development of clinical practice, with regards to national recommendations, communicating this to junior colleagues in a positive manner in order to maintain a consistent, motivated focus.
- Involved in the appraisal and negotiation of ongoing development plans for members of the clinical team.
- The management of risk is the responsibility of everyone and will be achieved within a progressive, honest and open environment. Ensure that staff will be provided with the necessary education, training and support to enable them to meet this responsibility.
- The post holder is responsible for ensuring that all duties and responsibilities of this post are carried out in compliance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, Statutory Regulations and TPC Policies and Procedures. This will be supported by the provision of training and specialist advice where required.
- Assist in the recruitment, selection and retention of staff.
- Demonstrate politeness, courtesy and sensitivity in dealing with clients, relatives and colleagues. Maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Contribute towards sharing good practice within the organisation.
- Promote a positive image of the organisation.
- Work cohesively with all members of the clinic, ensuring the very best customer service is provided at all times.
PATIENT / CLIENT CARE.
- In conjunction with the Theatre Lead provide a suitable and safe environment for the physical and psychological wellbeing of staff, patients/clients and their relatives/carers.
- Identify clinical risks and ensure that appropriate action is implemented in accordance with the Risk Management policy.
- Ensure that documentation is maintained to the company standard (including electronic records).
- Initiate investigations of untoward incidents, accidents, complaints and other relevant information.
- To delegate tasks and activities to a range of team members in relation to patient care.
- In conjunction with the staff team, to assist in developing and maintaining the Company philosophy and model of care.
- To comply with and participate in the Company’s framework of clinical governance within the department area, seeking advice or guidance where necessary.
- To demonstrate awareness and compliance with Company policies, procedures, guidelines and standards. This will include identification of risk (clinical, health, safety and security).
- Record and report all incidents/complaints involving staff, patients and visitors in accordance with Company policies and assist in any investigations as required.
- Ensure through good practice that customer care initiatives are improved and sustained. Act as a resource for advice to patients, relatives/carers and staff
- To assist the Theatre Lead in the effective and efficient use of resources & adequate stock levels, adhering to procedures for the use and procurement of supplies
- In the absence of the Theatre Lead assist the Theatre Coordinator to ensure appropriate staffing levels and skill mix is scheduled to reflect the workload and meet the needs of the patient. Assist the Theatre Lead and liaise with the Theatre Coordinator by adhering to the procedures for the activation of the bank/alteration of duty rotas
Infection Control is everyone’s responsibility. All staff, both clinical and non-clinical, are required to adhere to the Company Infection Prevention and Control Policies and make every effort to maintain high standards of infection control at all times thereby reducing the burden of Healthcare Associated Infections including MRSA.
Disclosure and Barring Service
Because of the nature of the work for which you are undertaking this post is exempt from the provisions of Section 4(2) of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 by virtue of the Rehabilitation Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975. All applicants who are offered employment will be subject to a criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service before the appointment is confirmed. This includes details of cautions, reprimands, final warnings, as well as convictions. Further information is available from the Disclosure and Barring Service website: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/disclosure-and-barring-service and our policy HR43a Disclosure and Barring Service, available from the HR department.
Safeguarding children and vulnerable adults
Post holders have a general responsibility for safeguarding children and vulnerable adults in the course of their daily duties and for ensuring that they are aware of the specific duties relating to their role.
Staff undertaking work which requires professional/state registration are responsible for ensuring that they are so registered and that they comply with any Codes of Conduct applicable to that profession. Proof of registration must be produced on appointment and, if renewable, proof of renewal must also be produced.
Work Visa/Permits/Leave to Remain
If you are a non-resident of the United Kingdom or European Economic Area, any appointment offered may be subject to the Resident Labour Market test (RLMT) which may need to be repeated on expiry of your leave to remain. The Company is unable to employ or continue to employ you if you do not obtain or maintain a valid work visa and leave to remain in the UK.
The post-holder must maintain confidentiality of information about staff, patients and health service business and be aware of the Data Protection Act 1998 and General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
Adherence to appropriate Company Policies, including but not limited to: Data Governance, Health and Safety, Equality and Diversity; and Company protocols.
Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion
The Private Clinic is committed to providing equality of employment opportunity for all members of staff and prospective staff and opposes all forms of discrimination, victimisation, or harassment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, or religion. The Private Clinic will not tolerate discrimination by any of its staff. You must recognise your responsibility to value and respect our clients and colleagues, standards of conduct are expected to be of the highest level to ensure that no-one is harassed, bullied, or victimised.
Health and Safety
The post holder must co-operate with management in discharging its responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and take reasonable health and safety of themselves and others and to ensure the agreed safety procedures are carried out to maintain a safe environment for patients, employees, and visitors.
All staff have a responsibility to report all clinical and non-clinical accidents or incidents promptly and when requested to co-operate with any investigation undertaken.
This job description sets out the main duties of the post at the date when it was completed although it does not include or define all tasks which the post holder may be expected to carry out. The duties may vary from time to time without changing the nature of the post or the level of responsibility and the post holder may also be required to carry out any other duties appropriate to the grading of the post.